Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My new workplace!

It's been almost a month since I started work at my new place at MOE. I'm very happy to be here and would like to show my readers how my new work place looks like. It is a large canteen at the MOE(Ministry of Education) building in Buona Vista catering to the staff as well as workers in the area. However, outsiders have to obtain security passes to enter the canteen. For some reasons, the security is tight here. Nevertheless, the crowd is good, the business is good and I am sure my boss is a happy man!

Work begins at 6.15am. My boss made me in-charge of the keys so I have to be the first one to be there and the last one to leave. I leave my home at about 5.30am to take the first train from Bedok MRT to Buona Vista MRT and usually get to work at about 6 to 6.10am. I usually leave work at about 6pm when the canteen closes.

While this is still a 12 hour day, the hours and place are fixed so at least I can plan for my own private life. For example, I can plan to meet some friends after work or even buy some groceries. The 12 hour work day is not even an issue as I have been working a 12 hour plus day since I first came to Singapore more than 2 years ago. Believe me, life in my hometown in China is much tougher. Besides a 12 hour plus day, we have to cope with poor and unreliable public transport and road / weather conditions and most of all, a rather insignificant pay package of less than SGD200 (USD165) per month. In my previous work place, it is almost impossible as the boss will hold me back or change my schedule at the last minute.

"Any recommendations from my readers ... will be most appreciated."
We also do not work Saturday and Sunday. This leaves me time and I intend to use this valuable time to take up some courses (once I have saved up enough money). First on the list will be an English course and second will be some IT courses that will help me to use the computer more effectively. Any recommendations from my readers on English courses and / or IT courses (use of word/excel) will be most appreciated. I also hope to buy my own computer once I have enough money. Currently, I have to use the cybercafe near my home, which can be a little inconvenient.

Enjoy the pictures I had taken for you!

8 comments:

  1. hi ~
    english and IT courses quite alot in the city where i work
    i can ask around when i pass by again

    for computer , you can get a cheap and good working condition
    if you dont mind a second-hand
    but actually nowadays a new laptop is quite cheap
    just must know where to look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urich,谢谢你帮我找!我学会了才买!最重要的是先学好英语!然后,才学电脑!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~
    没问题,不谢 ;)
    有一间学校 靠近 clark quay mrt
    满贵 , 你看看
    http://www.ascend.edu.sg/pronunciation-and-conversation.html

    还有几家网站没什么资料
    等一月再看看
    near bugis and dolby ghaut mrt

    ReplyDelete
  4. 这一间在2月开班

    另一间在 1 月 快了
    near Raffles place mrt
    http://www.halifaxhouse.net/hh.aspx?p=1&Title=home
    看你喜欢哪个 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 谢谢 Urich... 我下个星期去看一下!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 需要我陪你去吗。我也会在附近

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Urich... I will let you know when I go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    我的电话号码 发到你的 facebook ~

    ReplyDelete