Monday, December 20, 2010

My boss sent me for training!

My boss approached me the other day telling me that I have to attend a training conducted by the government to improve the service level of those in the service line in Singapore. As I was the newest addition to the company, I was chosen to attend this one day course on Saturday. The course runs from 8.45am to 6pm at Potong Pasir. It wasn't a place I was very familiar with, so I was intially a little afraid that I might not be able to find it!

He told me that he had to pay SGD120 for me to attend this course and the day will end with quiz. He jokingly remarked that I had to do well in the quiz (test), otherwise, I should not come back to work the next day. I answered, "Yes Boss, I understand!". Hmm... I wondered if I detected a sense of seriousness in his voice???

I had a tough time finding the place and it was a good thing that I went early. The company is XPRIENZ and they do audit on food outlets and cleanliness as well as conduct courses on hygiene. Interestingly, I met an ex-colleague from Chai Chee there. Her name is 阿花 (Ah Hua) and is the one in blue in the picture on the left. The course was conducted using computers to aid the training and was quite "hi-tech"... at least by my "lo tech" standards!

I found the course to be interesting and I felt a sense of relief when I finally passed the test and "graduated" with a certificate. At least I can face my boss the next day.

The course was attended by mostly Chinese nationals and was conducted in Mandarin, although there were a few Singaporeans. I guess the Singapore government is doing it's part to ensure that all food outlets have clean and hygienic practices, especially those hiring foreign workers who may not be familiar with the hygiene standards of Singapore.

Despite having to use my rest day for the course, I felt good, especially when I came away learning something new and interesting! I will look forward to more of these in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment