Saturday, July 10, 2010

Someone made my day!

I got up really early on my third day in Singapore, just to make sure I was not late and I did not have to wait in line for the bathrooms. My colleague got up at about the same time and were both ready by about 5.30am. I understand the bus journey will take about an hour, so we made our way to work early.

I was hard at work as usual... the first thing I had to do every morning was make coffee and then cut fruits. Customers normally start to stream in just after 8am for their breakfast. However, I was to busy concentrating on learning new phrases my colleague taught me that I did not really noticed what was happening around me!

Singaporeans are a friendly lot, aren't they? They will always make some small talk like, "Oh you are new here today?" or even a simple "你好!". It's such a refreshing change from my hometown. Sure people are nice when you know them at home but not when you are a stranger. They normally ignore you... or maybe they are just busy making ends meet?

So what made my day today? Well, someone came by and said I looked like "Gong Li"! Ha ha... how I wish! But nevertheless, I appreciated the nice gesture and it certainly made my day a little brighter!

When you are that far from home, it does not take much to make your day. Every little nice gesture counts, even when it's just pure flattery! Otherwise, returning home to room packed with eight people and having to queue to use the bathroom isn't much fun anymore. Thank you... whoever you are... for making my day!

Here is a picture of me and one of Gong Li... guess who's who? Ha Ha, I won't even dare to compare myself to a Diva, but what's stopping me from having some fun, right? The picture on the top left was taken when some friends and I visited the Hard Rock Cafe. We could not even afford to eat there but I could not resist putting on this nice top hat, just in the name of vanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment