Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A new beginning...

I woke up at 9am the next day. This was really late for me as I am used to waking up really early in the morning with the cockerels' crow in my front yard. However, I was really tired and I could really do with a few more hours rest. And I was hungry and there was no food anywhere. Just to be sure I don't break any house rules, I chatted with a house mate who was already hand washing her clothes. She gave me a few tips...  like not eating food on the table or refrigerator that is not yours, not spending too much time in the toilet etc... etc... while I made a mental note to remember all this. Then I did some unpacking so that I could get to my toothbrush for a quick wash and change of clothing. Only when I was fully awake did I realized that I slept without even putting on a bedsheet or pillow covers and there were stains all over the mattress... probably "left-overs" from all those who slept on it before I...

At 11am, the same guy who fetch me came and I was ready. He was a little more cheerful today as he told me what to bring along for my check-up. As we left the house, I had my first look at the location and neighborhood.

"This must be an apartment full of migrant workers... as I pondered the untidy state of the corridors..."

As we moved out of the main gate, he showed me the directions to the bus stop and told me that I have to take a bus from here to my assigned work place. I struggled to remember all the new instructions and routes... in my still groggy mind...

Along the way, I asked him several questions of my own, like, "How do I take a bus or MRT?", "Where do I buy a phone card?", "What type is the most economical for calling back to China?", "How much would I need to get all these in place?". Unfortunately, he was unable to help much and told me to ask my colleagues when I meet them during the later part of the day. I had a lot more questions than answers... but in the meantime, there was nothing I could do but let them rest! As he drove, I admired the new scenery... Singapore is certainly a beautiful country... beautiful people walking the streets, beautiful weather, orderly roads...

No comments:

Post a Comment