Friday, July 16, 2010

Getting used to it!

After a few weeks, I had my stuff all settled. I bought my phone card that cost met about SGD26, my MRT card topped up with SGD50. It's a good thing I brought my old Nokia handphone from China with me and it worked well in Singapore. I had worried that it might not work and was afraid that I had to go buy another phone. Where am I going to get money from when I have not even got my first month's pay? And even if I do, I had promised to send back at least SGD700 every month so that my mother can help me settle my huge debt. I promised to pay back at least SGD500 every month and including interest, that alone is going to take me almost 2 years to clear. The thought of whether I had made the right decision to borrow money to come work in Singapore often keeps me awake at night.

However, I know I had to work at least 4 to 6 years to save enough to go home and start a small business. My first 2 years will be just clearing my debt. Hmm....

"I even got used to sleeping in a room with 8 people"

Anyway, I was getting used to working in Singapore. In fact, I was quite surprised that I see so many people from China here. Whenever I take a stroll in the evening out of my apartment, Icould hear people speaking mandarin and from their accent, I could tell very distinctly that they were from China. Chinese people speak very loudly, especially the men! Welcome home... ha ha!

I even got used to sleeping in a room with 8 people. I got used to sleeping with the lights on when some of my room mates came back late.... and I got used to hanging clothes all over the house. I don't think anyone's to blame for this untidiness. Try cramming 14 people into a 2 bedroom HDB apartment and you will know what I mean. A picture tells a thousand words!

3 comments:

  1. i enjoy reading your blog. looking forward to read more of your mini adventure in this concrete city =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write very good English. Tell us the story of how you learned your standard English (some call it PAP english).

    Anyway, enjoy your stay here. Please cross the roads carefully. Green means go, and red means don't go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog by accident & I agree with JayY that your English is good! Keep blogging & good luck in S'pore =)

    ReplyDelete