Monday, July 19, 2010

Is this an indecent proposal or what?

My readers would have known by now that I have been trying very hard to get a job in Singapore, even now as I write. I've had some readers who wrote to me to offer their help and for this, I am forever grateful, even if they don't turn out successful in the end. It's always the thought that counts, isn't it?

"...I need you to come to Bangkok with me..."

During my two years in Singapore, I have made many friends and "friends". Recently, I have called on some of them to see if they can help me land a job in Singapore. One of these "friends" was a person I met while working at Tanjung Pagar who "moonlights" as an agent for Chinese workers (or at least that what he claims). In my desperation, I called him a few weeks back asking if he has any jobs available and he said he will come back to me. Within 3 days, I received a call from him and this is how part of the conversation went.

Him : "Hey, Xiao Jing, I have a job for you!"
Me (really excited) : "Really, wow, you are good. Tell me about it"
Him : "When can you come to Singapore?"
Me : "I can come as soon as possible! As soon as you can arrange the WP Pass and other necessary documentation!"
Him : "OK, I can only arrange the pass when you are here. Do you have about SGD5,000?"
Me : "I can try to get it if necessary"
Him : "OK, my fees are SGD4,000. And you will need about SGD1,000 for your own expense. You can come to Singapore and I need you to come to Bangkok with me"
Me : "But I don't want to work in Bangkok, I want a job in Singapore!"
Him : "No it's not working in Thailand, but we need to go Thailand to see the employer"
Me : "But I don't want to go if the job is not confirmed"
Him : "It's as good as confirmed. I showed him your picture and he says he wants to hire you but need to see you in person first"

The conversation did not end there but my suspicion was aroused and I'm definitely not going to Singapore without a valid Work Permit. I was already SGD1,000 poorer when I got "played out" by the Hot Pot City company (I will post on this soon) in China Square and the money wasn't even mine. Now I have to work more than 6 months here in Tieling (near Shenyang) just to pay back the SGD1,000!

I called one of my ex-colleague in Chai Chee, a lady in her 60's who became a good friend and mentor. Without her, I might have given up long ago. She had been always encouraging, advising and mentoring me... almost like a mother to me. I am so blessed to have a colleague like her! I told her about this call and her immediate reaction was, "No, you better not go... if he's sincere, he'll get the permit for you first."

Anyway, I will let you readers decide. In any case, I turned him down and I have not heard from him since then.

2 comments:

  1. yes, of course is indecent...and u stand to lose SGD4K, please do not get cheated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What level of school do you studied? Maybe you can try to be language teacher? Just a suggestion

    ReplyDelete