Thursday, July 29, 2010

My first pay day in China - Joy and Frustration!

Since I came back the second time (after being played out by Hot Pot City) to China towards the end of June, I started working at a boutique near Tieling, which is about a 1+ hour bus ride from my home. The pay is RMB800 per month. Every morning, I take a bus at 6am to get to the work place by about 7.15am or so and that cost me RMB3 per trip. Work starts at 8am but I cannot come any later as the bus comes hourly and if I miss the 6am bus, I will be late for work.

28 July is my first month payday and I was looking forward to getting my first paycheck. While RMB800 is not a lot of money, it is about the average amount most boutiques are paying here. I was looking forward to it as I need to return some money I borrowed for my second trip to Singapore where I was "played out" by Hot Pot City and had to come back. I had plan to return about RMB500 every month leaving about RMB300 for my own spending.

I was in a good mood all day, waiting for my boss to come in towards the late afternoon to pay us our money. Imagine my surprise when I only get RMB300 for my month's worth of work! The boss explains that they keep RMB500 of our first month's pay to cater for any deductions that I may incur for any loss of goods, damaged goods or for being late for work. This wasn't told to me when I first came for interview.

When my boss left, I asked my colleagues if that was true and they all said they had the same experience. However, the boss did say that when we do leave the company, they will return the RMB500 less any deductions to us.

This is terrible... imagine looking forward to your month's pay only to have more than half deducted away just like that. And taking into account that I spend an average of RMB6 a day on bus fare ie RMB180 a month, I am basically left with RMB120 to take back home. RMB120 sounds like alot until you realise that it is just SGD26! Now, what am I to tell my creditor?

No comments:

Post a Comment