Friday, July 23, 2010

I lost $200 while taking a shower!

It was a while after I moved into Tanjung Pagar and I was still a relatively "green horn" there. I had just had my pay day and I took the amount to People's Park complex where I quickly remitted SGD600 to my mother leaving SGD200 in SGD50 bills and some loose cash in my wallet for personal use. I made a quick call to my mother to tell her that I just remitted the money and to keep a lookout for it. With the satisfaction that my mother will get the money in a few days, I headed home. It was a long day and I was tired out!

When I got home, miraculously, the bathroom was not used and some of my house mates were either watching TV or playing cards. I took advantage of the situation by quickly putting my stuff on my bed and headed to take a quick shower. It's been a long hot day and the long hours of walking (to People's Park and back home) had made me feel really sticky. If a mosquito had landed on me, I am sure it would have stuck on to my skin.

"The thought of losing money never crossed my mind, not even for a second!"

You see, we do not have cupboards to lock our valuables and belongings and I always keep mine locked up in a my small pink suitcase if I have to leave them in the room. But this time, I was in a hurry, just to use the empty bathroom, just in case someone beat me to it, so I just dumped everything on my bed. I had not even thought about losing valuables, afterall, we all live together in "one big, happy family". The thought of losing money never crossed my mind, not even for a second!

The evening passed without incident until the next morning before I got to work that I realised that my SGD200 was missing. Did I misplaced it? Interestingly, the loose change were still there. It can't be a thief or he/she would have taken the loose change too! SGD200 is alot of money to me. It's more than a month's salary in China. I panicked and was about to walk home to check when my senses got the better of me. What's the point? If I had misplaced it, it's probably gone. If someone had stolen it, they are not going to admit it and I cannot search everyone. Even if I do, how will I know the notes I find are mine? Tears rolled down my cheeks as I walked the rest of the way to work. I had intended to buy a watch for my sister but looks like it's got to be another time!

That day, from whatever angle you looked at me, it was a sad look! However, I have decided to not let it bother me. I learnt my lesson...  and I am sure it is better to lose $200 now than $800. I should just count my blessings that I went to remit $600 first before I came home... otherwise, it would have been a much more costly lesson!

5 comments:

  1. Luckily you lost only $200. It could have been much worst. You could have lost your virginity, assuming you are still a virgin...haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesson learn, you should bring your valuables along with you when you go bathing ! Its always very tempting to leave your money behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will do you a favour. Next time before you take your bath, call me. I will come over and keep an eye on your things. And to show your appreciation, you can take me out for dinner after your bath. Would that not be a nice arrangement?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spend some money to buy a good lock and lock up all your belongings... I believe the thief will get his/ her punishments soon! *pray for you*

    ReplyDelete