Sunday, July 18, 2010

Moving to a new Home!

Two months had passed by since I started work and while life is continues to be tough, it's all in a days work. I had decided to move closer to work so that I don't have to spend so much time travelling and save on bus fair too. I rented a bed space (Yes, bed space and not a room.... no typo here) at Tanjung Pagar for SGD220 a month. This is much neater than the Joo Chiat place as we only sleep 6 to a room and it's on a high floor, so I get a beautiful view of Singapore and part of the sea when I look out the window. It can get quite breezy on a windy day too. My only wish is that I had taken some pictures here, so that readers will get a chance to see this new "home".

"...you do at least get your own personal space!"

Maybe Singapore should consider having Capsule Apartments. In Beijing and many other cities, we have capsule apartments for migrant workers. They are very small single apartments with nothing more than maybe a bed and small table and a place to keep your clothes. All other amenities like washing machines, bathrooms etc... are shared. While it will certainly cost a little more than a renting a bed space like what we do in Singapore, you do at least get your own personal space. Here is a picture I took from the internet of a Capsule Apartment in Beijing.

Well, maybe a businessman or entrepreneur who reads this post will take this up as his personal project.It might be a highly profitable business venture... who knows?

"...I save almost 1hr and 30 minutes each day..."

In any case, it is now a 10-15 mins walk to work and instead of getting up at 5am, I can now get up at 6am and start taking a leisurely stroll to work at about 6.30am. My boss gave me SGD150 for accomodation and I save about SGD70 in bus fares, so I just about broke even when it comes to finance, but I save almost 1hr and 30 minutes each day (2 hours bus to and fro less 30 mins walk to and from work). The walking will be good for my health too so it's a good trade...

2 comments:

  1. I thought the "capsule" apartment was banned by the municipal government as it might be a hazard in the event of a fire.

    Anyway, I think this concept have been done and tried in Singapore and does not comply with URA regulations.

    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/433634/1/.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think capsule apartments are a great idea.

    1986: my parents bought a 2,100sq ft f'hold apartment w seaview for $400K.

    2006: my neighbours moved to a 700sq ft apartment w partial seaview for $800K

    2026: some sucker will buy a 230 sq ft apartment (no seaview needed for 1.6 million. Definitely can make money honey.

    ReplyDelete