Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Breaking News... a new opportunity?

My agent called me today and said that a new pub in Singapore is opening soon and will require 10 Chinese female workers and asked if my sister and I are interested. We are naturally interested in any jobs in Singapore but working in a pub? That's something new to me. In fact, the term pub may sound too good but in Mandarin, it's called a 酒吧 (jiǔbā) or closer to a "bar". Working hours is from 6pm to 4am which means that we have to make drastic changes to our sleeping habits and we both are really what you might call "early birds" ie we sleep early and wake up early!

I asked the agent if it is one of those "girlie bar" and he said he is not sure. I made it very clear that we are not interested in "PR" type jobs that require you to sit with the client, drink with them and indulge in small, meaningless talk to boost their ego etc... etc... He said that he is quite sure that this is not and it is more like a job selling and serving drinks to the clients. The requirements call for an age requirement of between 20 to 25 so actually I am over the age requirement but the agent told me that it should not be a problem.

In any case, the client want to see us in person (or at least over the internet). The appointment has been made for this Friday where my sister and I will be going on the internet for a QQ session with the client. We will also be able to ask questions to clarify any doubts we may have.

What's my fear? My main fear is that this is a new business venture and it is not guaranteed to succeed. If it does not, then we stand to lose the agent's fee of SGD8,000 and have to go back to square one ie back to China! Going back to China isn't the main issue... but losing SGD8,000 or twice of that (SGD8,000 per person) since my sister is the one who is more interested to come, will be a big big burden for us.

Well, it is too early to say anything yet but by this Friday, I will know if the client thinks we are suitable for the job. Who knows, they may not even want us after seeing or speaking to us. Or they may want my sister and not me, since I am over their age requirement. Anyway, my sister probably will not go alone... my mother had told her that,"...unless 大姐 (big sister) goes with you, you cannot go!" Ha ha, my parents really dote on her! And she is still just a little girl (like in the picture above) to them! My sister is really impatient to get started in life... and while that is good, hurrying into something is not always the best way to get started... as our judgement tend to be affected by our impatience and we could end up making more mistakes.

So, should we go or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment