Friday, July 9, 2010

My new job!

Right after the doctor's appointment and after the necessary documentations were settled, he told me he will send me to my new workplace and I will have to start working that same day. It was almost 3pm!

After about 20mins of driving, we arrived at Raeburn Park, Tanjong Pagar. We drove past a rather run down train station and straight into a modern industrial building. My first impression was that Singapore is very nice and clean. That was a positive start!

Once we arrived, he parked his van and took me to the canteen to meet my "colleagues" which comprised 3 Singaporean workers and 2 Chinese Workers.... I was introduced to them and my boss, who was a Singaporean. He sat me down and explained to me my job. My job was to take care of the drinks while one of my Chinese colleagues will handle the fruits. Another Chinese colleague was attending to what I was later to learn as a "Niang Dou Fu" stall, although I have no idea what that was.

Working hours was 7am to 7pm with half days on Saturday and off on Sunday! Wow, off on Sunday. In China, we work seven days a week! Or at least I worked seven days a week in a boutique!

I was handed two company "T-shirts" and an apron and will have to wear these every day, starting from now. I immediately went to change and started work. We have to wash these and keep these clean on our own. One of my Chinese colleagues taught me how to make the different coffee and I learnt some local terms like "Teh O" and "Teh O Kosong".... rather confusing at first but my colleague was rather patient and reassured me that I will get the hang of it in a few days. I was glad she was patient and nice to me and especially happy that the first few people I met were all nice.

"... I even had time to read a little newspaper!"
While I was absorbing all these new terms, time flew and before I knew it, it was time 6.30pm and time to start getting ready to go home. My first day was quite a nice experience, I even had time to read a little newspaper! This colleague was staying in the same place as me (although I did not see her the night before) and offered to take me home.

On the way home, she gave me more tips on working in Singapore. She told me that later in the evening, she will take me to buy a phone card and settle other issues like change money etc... So sweet of her! While I felt like a fish out of water in Singapore, little nice gestures like these go a long way to making me feel at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment