Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Washing the dishes!

Today, the auntie washing the dishes was on medical leave. So my boss asked me if I can help to wash the dishes. I accepted of course!

My boss had been very gracious to accept me back working for him and I appreciate this very much. Otherwise, I would have been stuck in that "torture chamber" Bread Junction. I'm willing to extend my help to whatever areas he needs help in... happily!

It's my first time washing dishes in the kitchen. Not a fun job, but it's ok. I asked my colleague to take some pictures of me and she asked why do I want to take such pictures. I told her I wanted to send them home to my mother and show her how hard I am working to give her a better life! We both had a good laugh!

While life certainly is not easy for us migrant workers, it is probably better than being in China at the moment. Work wise, it is pretty much the same. However, the paltry pay is only one fifth of what we get here. Even after paying rents and expenses, we are still getting at least 3 times more than what we make at home.

Sometimes we take things for granted. Like washing dishes for example. It is a tough job and can be really bad for the hands, especially if you are not wearing gloves. My skin started to soften and tear after just one hour with the detergent, so I quickly put on the washing gloves. I can imagine how hard the old auntie work everyday washing the dishes when younger people like me find it tough. I told myself quietly to appreciate her more!

Somebody once told me, in everything we do, look at the glass as half full instead of half empty. So here I go... washing dishes is better than washing the toilet! Thank you boss, for not making me wash the toilet! Ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment