Saturday, February 26, 2011

Looking for a room!

During the Chinese New Year when both my sister and I had a chance to be together for 2 full days, we had some good talk and decided that maybe we should look for a place of our own to stay. Currently we both pay SGD220 each per bed to stay at the current place, and that means both of us are paying SGD440.

Some of my customers at work tell me that I can get a room in Singapore for about SGD500. That's SGD60 more a month but that means we have a room to ourselves. There will be no queuing to use the bathrooms, no disturbance when people come home late at night, not rowdy gambling and no more losing of things. Recently I lost one of my favorite jackets which I wear to work when the morning is cold, especially in the train.

You can see from the picture on the right that our rooms are getting really too crowded now. Two persons hardly have any room to move... and when my landlord and his buddies are gambling outside, sometimes we all have to cram ourselves just to escape the noise and stares.

That's my sister on the left and a room-mate on the right. With 4 double decker beds stacked close to each other and 8 to a room, we hardly have any private space we can call our own.

I had been browsing the papers and advertisement pasted at bus stops looking for rooms-to-let. I found two but unfortunately both do not allow any cooking, even when I told them I just need to make instant noodles every now and then! Preferably, I would still like a place near Bedok Central, but really anywhere near a train station is also fine... My sister works in Ang Mo Kio and I work in Buona Vista and we both take the train to work most of the time. My sister has recently started taking buses as there is a direct bus and it is cheaper too, although it takes about 15 minutes longer. But she reckon the savings is worth... each month, she will save an additional SGD15 per month just by taking buses instead of trains.

Well, if any of my readers know of any rooms-to-let close to my budget and near a train station, please do let me know. Maybe I have been reading the Chinese newspapers most of the time and I may have missed out many opportunities in the English newspapers or even on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment