Saturday, January 29, 2011

My first taste of Japanese food!

Near where I stay (Bedok), a new Japanese Restaurant opened up. I know most of you would be going, like, "Expensive!" but this is really a low cost restaurant. Can you imagine, a bento set starting from S$4.80? Well, it's not cheap but at least it's not like way out of the range for me. So last weekend, I decided to give it a try.

I've been going to the library most weekends and have been walking past this new outfit. This place is always full at lunch time and I would not have thought about trying it during that time. However, my first thought is, if the queue is always this long, it must be good and economical. Last weekend, I went to the library with my room-mate again but this time we somehow did not not have our lunch. By the time we it came to 3pm, we were starving. So we thought about what to eat and decided to see if this place is still crowded.

As we walked past the shop, to my surprise, it was quite empty. We studied the menu pasted outside the shop and contemplate if we should give ourselves a small treat. We've worked hard and it's only S$4.80 (USD3.50) or a little more if we decided to order some side dishes. In the end, we could not resist as we both have not tried Japanese dishes. We walked in and I ordered a Pepper Chicken Bento while my room mate ordered a Saba Bento. Surprise... it comes with free flow of Japanese Green Tea! Not too bad at all!

Was it worth the money? Well, the bill came up to just a little over S$10 and the food was delicious. I like the sticky Japanese rice and especially the Miso soup. I tried a little of my room mate's Saba fish and it too was delicious... in fact better than my Black Pepper Chicken! I would say it's worth the money but not something I could afford daily... maybe once a month, on payday!

To those who's looking for value-for-money Japanese food, head down this way and let me know if it's anywhere near authentic Japanese food!

No comments:

Post a Comment