Monday, January 24, 2011

Busy morning... making sandwiches!

Some morning can be really busy for me. Like this morning for example. We had an order from one of the office upstairs which was holding a big meeting and wanted sandwiches and coffee for their breakfast meeting. They wanted 90 sets of assorted sandwiches; tuna, sardines and cheese. While the order was placed the evening before, they wanted the sandwiches made fresh in the morning and their meeting starts at 8.30am! What a big rush for me!

So this morning, I made an extra effort to go there as early as possible, which is tough because I almost always take the first train anyway... so unless the first train comes early, I'll have to resort to alternative means of transport. Singapore is so precise and everything happens like clockwork, it is difficult to expect trains to come any earlier (or later). For this special morning, I took a taxi there... even though it cost me plenty more!

Besides the 90 sets of sandwiches, I still have to make my usual 40-50 sets for sale when customers start streaming for breakfast. And coffee must be hot too... Altogether, this puts a lot of pressure and stress on me. Fortunately for me, these kinds of busy morning do not happen very often, maybe about once or twice month. We do cater for smaller meetings but they usually order like 5-10 sets of sandwiches which is a lot easier on me. At least I can still take a train to work and still be on time to make the sandwiches for their meeting.

But I am not concerned about the tough day. In fact I like it because when you are busy, time really flies and before you know it, it's time to go home!

And besides, it is quite rewarding when the same customers (at the meeting) come by at lunch and tell me, "Nice sandwiches!". These customers are so appreciative of good work and of course, delicious food, their comments always make my day a better one!

1 comment:

  1. You are a very good employee Jing LI!
    I hope that you get time off later to compensate for the early start... or overtime payments...

    ReplyDelete