Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I like Bubble Tea!

The first time I tried Bubble Tea was after a year or so in Singapore. I was out with a friend and we were both thirsty and she decided we should share one. We knew it was quite costly and we could have water at a fraction of the price but then, we thought we should pamper ourselves a little. So we bought a "Red Tea with Pearl" at SGD2.50 per cup and shared between the two of us. Ever since then, I have been "addicted" and every now and then, when my pocket says "Yes", I would treat myself to a good cup of "Bubble Tea"!

I'm not sure what is the cause of the addiction but the feeling of chewing the "pearls" can be quite addictive. I'm not sure what they are made of, but good ones are always very chewy and difficult to break. I guess the addiction must be similar to those of chewing gum... you try to chew and break it but somehow it just stays there as long as you don't swallow it. The only difference between "Bubble Tea" and "Chewing Gum" is that to end the sensation in "Chewing Gums", you spit it out, while for "Bubble Tea", you swallow it! And of course "Bubble Tea" is legal in Singapore... unlike Chewing Gum! Or maybe its because the government here banned Chewing Gums that people take to liking Bubble Tea.

After having lost it's flavor with the crowd after the initial introduction, it's now making a slow comeback as I start to see more Bubble Tea stalls opening again. There are three in Bedok just walking distance from where I stay! I even remembered that while looking for a job some time back, I walked into one of these and asked if they were hiring foreigners!

6 comments:

  1. I came into contact with Bubble tea during my 2 years work attachment in Taiwan (2003 to 2004). The people there are crazy about bubble teas.

    Personally,I prefer pearl milk tea (珍珠奶茶)...Now back in Singapore, only drink occasionally.

    Agreed with you that at one time there were many bubble tea shops mushrooming in Singapore !

    Then, slowing one by one closed shop... now you can see that they are slowing picking up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried bubble tea once in Shanghai.
    It tasted very strange - not really like tea at all...
    ... But I agree that the chewy bits are nice! :)

    More generally, I guess there must be fashions in food like fashions in clothes. In Brisbane now we finally have 'Breadtalk' type bakeries - none for years, but three (independent) ones suddenly open at the same time...
    ...alas the quality isn't so good at the one I tried. All the breads and cakes were old and not freshy baked. I miss that stuff from Asian countries! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are u still staying in Bedok area? Because u can walk over to Bedok Point and try Gong Cha. I recommend u try their Golden Ovaltine. Its is really SUPER nice! In fact, Gong Cha drinks are on par with Koi and very up to quality!
    I live in Bedok too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I am Jasmine. Ok I will try it and I will write up a post, just for you! Thank you for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was actually Googling for instant noodles on Google Image when I saw your pic, and then I thought, what a pretty girl but why is her photo among the pics of instant noodles?
    So I clicked and I got to your blog and there after, I am hooked.
    Alot of Singaporeans do not like foreigners, especially China nationals. But your blog stands out because it clears the misconception. It shows that despite not earning much, not having alot, you still are a very happy girl just simply by enjoying whatever you have.

    That is one thing most Singaporeans should learn from you. Alot of us pin our happiness to our desire. But many do not realise that happiness is what you make it out to be, its not much money you have, its how you make the best of what little you have.

    Your struggles are an inspiration. It would be an honour for me to be a friend to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jasmine... I am really honored too. 谢谢!I am glad you like my blog. Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete