Friday, November 19, 2010

Squabble at home...

The other day, I returned home to hear my landlord and one of the tenant squabbling. The subject of the squabble was the washing machine (picture on right). The landlord claims that the washing machine was damaged because when the tenant wash her clothes, she did not ensure that everything was removed from the pockets. This resulted in the washing machine being damaged that day. He then said that he wanted each tenant to pay SGD5 for each tub of washing if he gets us a new washing machine, until the machine price is paid for.

The tenant, a teacher, was very unhappy over this and insisted that it was the landlord's duty to provide the washing machine. The damage was coincidental and there was no way to prove that it was caused by items in the pockets of the clothes being washed. She claims the landlord should look at it as just a cost of doing business. Afterall, we are all paying him SGD210 per month for bed space in a room packed with 4-6 persons. That's alot of money!

Well, she has a point too! The landlord once told me he rented the place for SGD1,600. Currently we have 9 tenants and that means he's collecting SGD1,890 from us. Plus he gets to stay for free... so he makes an extra SGD290 a month, some of which goes to pay the utilities etc... Not sure if it makes good business sense??? Maybe it does... if you take into account his own stay... it adds up to almost SGD500 extra a month after deducting about SGD100 for utilities!

I really don't know who is right here because I don't know the cause of the damage. Thankfully for me, I usually wash my clothes manually when I have my shower at the same time. I try to wash a set everyday so I don't end up with too much clothes to wash over the weekend. And it just does not make sense to use the washing machine when I only wash one set of clothes. The only time I used the washing machine is when I have to change the bedsheets!

In any case, my landlord (on the right) bought a second-hand washing machine the last time for about SGD120 and it had lasted till now (that's almost 2 years), not bad or a second-hand washing machine! And I am quite sure he will not buy a new washing machine for us anyway! But for most of us, a washing machine is a washing machine.... used or new!

A friend once told me that I could get a room for 2 persons for about SGD450 to SGD500 and avoid the "congestion". Well, I did get a room for SGD450 in Punggol for two persons but in Bedok, it is alot harder as Bedok is a crowded town and demand is higher than supply! If I could get a simple room to share with a friend for SGD450 to SGD500, I would because it would just mean SGD15 to SGD25 more each month for me... a price worth paying for the peace, privacy and not having to queue to use the toilets!

Incidentally, the next day, I decided to wash my bedsheets and gave the washing machine a try.... and.... it was working again! So the squabble was all wasted effort.

3 comments:

  1. Your "landlord" don't look like a local. He most probably rented the flat from a Singaporean and sublet to you and others. Furthermore, he looks like a bum. If I were you, I'd be wary of him.

    By the way, I hope your sister has found a job here.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies. You did mention that the "landlord" rented the flat.

    In case you don't know, it is illegal for a tenant to sublet his flat. And if this done with knowledge of the actual landlord, then he or she has also broken the law.

    You and your fellow tenants stand the risk of getting evicted without notice when HDB investigates and takes action against the landlord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My landlord is also from China.

    真的吗?I did not know it is illegal. Thank you for letting me know. 我会小心!

    ReplyDelete