Friday, November 5, 2010

My first taste of "real" Roti Prata!

Recently, my friends suggested that we try some Indian food and I agreed. I like hot, spicy and sour food, especially hot and spicy noodles and curry.

My work starts at 11am on this day so we made our way to Sembawang where The Prata Place is known to serve some of the best roti prata in Singapore (or at least thats what I heard) at about 7.30am. This place is really quite far away and I would never have found it on my own! We ordered one Banana Prata, one Cheese Prata and another Paper Prata together with some fish curry together with the almost mandatoryTeh Tarik (milk tea made the Indian way with a foamy top just like bear!).

One thing that surprised me when I got there was that while I understand that Roti Prata is Indian food, the whole shop was filled with Chinese... or is it just that Indians do not take breakfast? Maybe we were early but the shop was already quite packed, with barely any empty tables.

In any case, the Prata was excellent. 很好吃!It was crispy and dry. While this was not really my first taste of Roti Prata, this was definitely my first taste of really good Prata. I tried Prata once in a Punggol food center near where I stayed but the prata was cold, soggy and oily. It was all ready made. This one was really different and the long journey from Punggol to Sembawang was definitely worth the extra effort. And the bill for 3 persons only came up to $8.70. That's quite reasonable considering that it was air-conditioned and we all had Teh Tarik too!

If you have not tried Roti Prata, you must try this place!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah.. not bad, when i read your blog, i can know some new and interesting places with good food to eat! Haha! This prata place sounds very familiar. Is it along sembawang road?

    Its not surprising to see mostly chinese in a prata shop, i don't know why, but it seems like prata and indian food has an appeal to us chinese. =)

    I know of another place that serve very delicious prata too! Its at jalan kayu area, near sengkang. Many years back, i used to go there very often for supper and eat their prata, i love their prata, especially their cheese prata! I bet no other place can beat their cheese prata! Haha, take my word or it.. die die must try!

    ReplyDelete