Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Is this true?

When I first came to Singapore about 2 years ago, my chinese colleagues warned me not to get too close to our female Singapore colleagues. Their experience is that many Singapore women do not like mainland Chinese women. Naturally this piqued my curiosity and I asked them to elaborate.

They told me it's just a feeling from the way they were treated as far as work is concerned. The few Singaporean female workers seem to behave more "bossy" towards them and tend to load them with work, even though the boss has clearly defined the roles.

Personally, I have not experienced such bias towards us Chinese female workers and in fact, quite often, I do get a strange look from my own Chinese colleagues. My personal experience with local women so far has been very pleasant. Most understand that we are far from home and are usually very nice and sympathetic towards us (or me at least).

About half a year into work, I was still curious to know if this was really true, so I gathered up my courage to ask one of my closer local friend whom I met while working.

She explained that this is generally untrue but in some cases, it could be because there has been many stories about how mainland Chinese women "snatched" away the husbands of many local women. If they did not literally "snatched" them away while in Singapore, they "stole" their hearts while they (the husbands) were on business trips in China. This may be the cause of the occasional "hatred" some of us may have experienced.

This is certainly interesting... and I guess it was only a woman's point of view. What about the man's point of view? Is this true, my male readers?

No comments:

Post a Comment