Friday, September 2, 2011

Migrant Workers - Are people getting it right?

After my post on migrant workers, a few readers who were also employers themselves wrote to my facebook account with some comments.

They felt that many Singaporeans are mistaken that migrant workers are coming to Singapore to take their jobs, bring down their salary and reduce their quality of life. Being employers themselves, they personally experienced little or no savings as far as salary for migrant workers is concerned. Sure we get less, but as mentioned in my post, it does not mean employers pay less.

With the recent rise in foreign worker levy, employers now have to pay as much for foreign workers as well as local workers. The main difference, as explained to me, is that employers find foreign workers to be hungrier, and willing to work longer hours.

Yes, we are hungrier. We need the money, or else, we would not have travelled so far to a foreign land to earn money. And being here, and having paid a hefty, agent's fee, we would need to make sure we work as hard as we can. The last thing we want is to be sent back with a big debt to pay. Most of us work 12hours plus days, 6 days week (sometimes 6.5 days as in my Bread Junction days) while our Singaporean colleagues work an 8 hour day and a 5.5 days week maximum. My own sister works a 13 hour day 7 days a week for two weeks straight just to be paid some overtime. She takes a day off every two weeks.

Please do not read the above as a complain or comparison. I am so blessed to have a job here and I am very happy working the hours assigned. I am so blessed to have a good boss, good colleagues and good friends. I am posting this hoping to shed more light on the matter (for myself as well as others) so that we can all live happily and make Singapore a better place.
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment