Thursday, September 15, 2011

My landlord is not too happy!

Just before the Hari Raya holidays and despite the Hari Raya celebrations round the corner, my landlord has not been in the best of moods recently... and it is mostly our fault!

Since moving here, my sister and I had been busy working. I leave early in the morning at 5.30am and am usually back home by 7pm or so. My sister leaves at about 9am and is usually back at 11pm when I am already asleep. My landord leaves for work about 8am and is usually back at 6.30pm or so.

Unbeknown to me, my sister, in her haste to go to work had left the main door unlocked twice. Once, my landlord came home to find his main door unlock. He did not say anything that time. Another time, he came home and an old neighbour lady was in his house. When I came home, I thought that the old lady was his mother and I greeted her. Little did I know that she was a friendly neighbour who came to give my landlord some food she cooked. However, in finding the door unlocked, she stayed in the house until my landlord came back, just to be sure.

I did not know of the above until my landlord called me the other day and spoke to me when I came home. He was rather unhappy over the two incidents. He also brought up other incidents like cooking too often, washing our clothes too often but he did say that these others were minor. The biggest incident which he is unhappy about is us leaving the door unlocked.

I do not blame him but I confronted my sister when she came home. My sister in her usual defiant and hot tempered way, said that she only did it twice, because she forgot to lock as she was late for work. I told her that this was not a good excuse and that my landlord had threatened to evict us if we ever do it again. I also told her that I should not cook for her as often as my landlord thinks we are cooking too often and we should only wash our clothes once or twice a week (even though we hand wash our clothes most of the time). I told her that we found a good place, a good landlord and it is our responsibility to make sure the place is safe, clean and not to inconvenience him in any way. My sister was upset with me... even though she admitted her faults. I told her we should be glad that nothing was missing... or we might have to pay for it.

I dread having to look for a place again, or even having to move. This is a nice place and my landlord is a nice and reasonable person. I enjoy the place and I hope my sister will come to her senses and apologise to my landlord! Young people are too hot tempered these days! She did not even call or sms me on my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment