Sunday, September 25, 2011

My first week making coffee!

Monday was the real test for me! It was my first day making coffee for everyone and was I nervous. I came to work with butterflies in my tummy. I remember the feeling when I was going to sit for an exam; same feeling. I could not find the sugar, I could not find the coffee powder etc... Fortunately for me, I got in earlier just to make sure I got everything in order. How I wish my colleague was with me just for one more day!

Anyway, the crowd starting streaming in at close to 8am and very soon, like all morning, the queue got longer and longer and longer. I'm not sure why the coffee queue is always long, maybe it's because we sell coffee at quite low price, only $0.80 per cup compared to $1.20 in most other places. Nevertheless, the coffee queue just keeps getting longer and I keep hoping it gets shorter.

Then I get a short break from a out 9.30am to 11.30am before the crowd starts to come again. Instead of having my lunch at 2.30pm, now I have my lunch at 11am as the lunch queue can be even longer. It's scary for me on my first day and I kept telling everyone I serve, "Please let me know if my coffee is not good, so that I can improve and serve you better!" Many say, the coffee taste just fine, but I was wondering within if they were just being polite? Most were encouraging... thank goodness!

The rest of the days were the same... long queues. Now I understand how stressful my ex-colleague's job was.

Fortunately for me, my buddy, Ah Mei and another colleauge, were always helping me. Ah Mei, in her jovial self, was always joking with the crowd, keeping the tension casual so that nobody noticed how slow I was at my first attempt to make coffee. After the first day, my shoulders were aching from having to carry the huge pot of coffee up and down, pouring out at least a few hundred cups each time.

Well, looking on the bright side, as one of my readers said, it's a skill I may be able to put to good use in future. And the shoulder ache, well, it must be good exercise too. Maybe I should cut down on my jogging a bit now that I am getting good exercise at work too!!!

Well, if you are working at MOE and reading this, please give me some encouragement. However, if my coffee is really bad, do let me know. I promise to learn and learn fast too.

No comments:

Post a Comment