Friday, September 30, 2011

Poor Old Lady

Last Saturday, as I was preparing to go for my English Class, I was kind of feeling down, thinking why I had to spend money to learn English, when I should have learnt all these when I was younger. If not for the classes, I could be resting, listening to music or just relaxing. As I headed to my English Class, I walked behind a row of flats near Bedok Central and noticed a small stack of cardboard boxes, messily placed all over. Cluttered amongst them, was an old lady, patiently cutting up the boxes and stacking them onto a trolley.

The little old lady was probably in her late seventies or eighties and walks with a perpetual hunch. I could almost feel the pain as I watch her walk those difficult few steps. I could almost feel the creaking in her bones and the pain she must have felt.Despite the pain and difficulty she was obviously in, she was meticulous, cutting and stacking each box neatly onto the trolley and tying them down neatly. My mind wondered as to how much she can fetch for those few boxes? Ten cents per box and with about 10 to 20 boxes, she probably gets about two dollars worth?

All of a sudden, I realized how fortunate I am to be of good health, to be able to study, to be able to walk with pain and even jog regularly. I thank God for blessing me for making me what I am and I made up my mind to study and work even harder.

It's interesting how our attitude can change just because of one thing or another. Maybe it's these little incidents like what I had just experienced that makes our life worth living. What would life be without a few of these incidents to remind us of how fortunate we are. No matter how bad a situation you think you are in, there's always someone worse off than you, somewhere in the world!
Share

1 comment:

  1. 非常赞同最后一段话。我自己也是常常这么想的,尤其是在低潮的时候。我常觉得,人生不如意十之八九,就是要懂得感恩和看开,才会活得开心一些。

    ReplyDelete