Thursday, April 28, 2011

Found a room!

I finally found a room at Bedok! I had wanted a room for so long and finally I found it. A friend saw an ad in the internet and told me about it. With her help, I immediately made arrangements to view the flat at Bedok, right after my work. When I arrived, I was shocked! The outside of the house was full of plants... obviously a plant lover, I thought!


This is a two bedroom flat owned by a Malay bachelor just across the road from the Bedok library. He had previously rented the common room out to a Chinese couple but they left recently. When I was there looking at the room, I noticed that he was receiving many inquiries about the room. The price he is asking for is quite reasonable, SGD500 per month. It was well kept considering that he is a bachelor!

I decided to take the room and told him that I will be sharing it with my sister. He then asked for SGD650 which is way off my budget. We finally got it down to SGD600 but this was still quite a sum for me. If I divide this amount between the both of us, we will be paying SGD300 each, SGD90 more than what we are paying for now. Thoughts ran through my mind like a train! Should I? Should I not?

I weigh the benefits... a room to ourselves, no queuing for bathrooms or washing machines, privacy, no more missing items, better sleep, ... The disadvantages... no friends to "gossip" with... so when my sister is at work, it will be just me or if I am at work, it will be just her! But it's only a 3 minutes walk to my current place which means I can still walk there to see my friends! What is more important? Privacy or friends... both are important but at this point in my life, privacy and a little peace is more important.

The owner seems a nice guy, a little introvert but he did not like heavy cooking (which I don't do anyway) and ask that I be considerate to his Muslim faith when cooking or eating pork in the house. That's fair!

I decided to go for it! I gave him a S$600 downpayment and decided not to think about it any longer. I know it will be painful when I think about it... and to think of it, my sister has not seen it yet! The deal was I move in on 1 May!

7 comments:

  1. Good decision. Considering the benefits/disadvantages you mention in your post, I think you will find it is worth the extra money. Better sleep and a relaxing bathroom will be a "quality of life" improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No meant to throw cold water but personally, I would prefer to rent from a single lady owner if the flat is owner occupied. That has always been the rule of thumb. Somewhat, not too convenient for two young ladies to stay with a bachelor in the same flat. Just my thoughts and two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for the comments. Yes I am a little afraid too, especially when I go to work in the early morning and my sister is still at home... but my desperation to find a reasonably priced room overules my fear... for the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Singapore, we always go with rule of thumb and stick by it, no ifs or buts, unless its an emergency. There're tons of rooms for rent in the market these days and it has been a tenant or buyer market given the bullish property market. Food for thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i concur with 2livetoday comments. Since you had already put deposit for it, no harm stay for while and see whether you are comfortable with it, before deciding to shift.

    You really have to take precaution and check the area thoroughly ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats~~

    do u need help to move?
    i drive you there ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. 谢谢Urich! I moved already! Thank you for the offer!

    ReplyDelete