Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My breakfast on Saturday!

The weekend is always nice for me these days. I can wake up a little later instead of at the rather early 5am! However, due to habit, I still get up pretty early by Singapore standards. I am usually up at 6.30am and that way, I also don't have to queue for the toilet, once my room-mates get up and start getting ready for work.

Last Saturday, I decided to take a walk in the market to see what happens in Singapore in the early morning. Since coming to Singapore, I've never really walked around the estate in the early morning. I took a walk to the nearby market where there is also a food center. I've also seldom eaten out in the morning so this all looks rather new to me.

For some reason, I start to feel hungry. Maybe it's the sight of everyone eating their breakfast, happily tucking in what is at their table. Suddenly, everything looks so delicious. Fortunately for me, I brought a couple of dollars along with me, so I decided to treat myself to a good breakfast at the food center.

I walk around a little, trying to decide what is best to eat. Finally, I decided to try the local "soon kueh", as there seem to be less people. Someone once told me that to eat in Singapore, always go to the stall with the longest queue, as usually that is where the best food is! However, this morning, I decided I was too lazy to queue and just wanted to sit down and enjoy the food and the "scenery".

I ordered one "soon kueh" and the uncle asked if I wanted it fried. I nodded and he seem a little annoyed that I only ordered one piece. Maybe he thinks that for that one piece costing 60cents, it's not worth for him to heat up his pan to fry it for me, or even to provide me with a plate and fork! Nevertheless, I got my "soon kueh" and sat down to savour the dish! Very soon, the drink stall auntie came and I order a tea too. Interestingly, the tea cost more than my food at 70cents! Funny! I reminded myself that I am in Singapore and Singapore is not China! Ha ha!

I had a wonderful breakfast, not just the food, but the fresh air and nice "scenery" at the market. After my breakfast, I took a walk to the wet market to find out what they sell there. Interestingly, the food and vegetables sold at the wet market is about the same price as the local supermarket. I think I'll stick to the local supermarket then, not that I buy a lot anyway.

It was a great morning and I got back just in time to see my sister getting ready to go to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment