Friday, September 24, 2010

Played out by an irresponsible employer - Part 3 (final part)

The next day, I called the manager again and he agreed to meet me at China Square. He was late for almost an hour. When he finally arrived, he said he will arrange the documents but I need to pay him SGD500. I was furious... and refuse to do so! Imagine! They promised to do this for me and if I had not checked, I might have become an illegal over-stayer! I might even go to jail for this... and yet he as the cheek to ask me for more money. Well, even if I wanted to pay, I don't have the money! Interestingly, when I was there, another more elderly lady of about 45 and a pretty younger lady of about 25 also came to meet him.

When I finally gave up and left, the elderly lady told me I was very lucky. She told me her sad story. She had worked for 3 months without pay. The younger lady, whom I later found out was a singer from China performing at Hot Pot City was not paid for six months! Only then did I realized indeed, how lucky I was. Both these ladies had to leave the country within seven days and they were almost sure they will not have the time or money to pursue this irresponsible employer! I know what they will do... they will just delay payment until time runs out and the two ladies have to leave. I thank God... that I was only owed one day in salary, although I had lost about SGD1,000 in coming over.

I wonder if the Singapore government knows of such errant employers, preying on the weakness of migrant workers who came here to earn an honest living? Here is a picture of me finally leaving Singapore again (circled in red), SGD1,000 poorer but counting my lucky stars all the same! I could not help wondering what happened to the 2 poor ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment