Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Played out by an irresponsible employer - Part 2

When I arrived, they promised to prepare all the necessary documents for me and I started work the next day. It was quite interesting as there were very few customers. I worked from 10am to 10pm. After one day, the boss spoke to me and said I need not come to work the next day until they call me again. I asked them about my documents as I was afraid of overstaying-staying illegally and they told me not to worry... they assured me that all documents will be in place... and I believed them.

For the next few days, I kept calling back but they told me there is no need to come to work yet... which left me a little confused... and suspicious. One of the managers who helped me arranged my medical check-up did tell me that business was bad and that they may close. However, he told me not to worry as they will find a job for me as they have a few other businesses.

After a week, I decided to take matters into my own hands and called up a few agents specializing in China job placements. I gave my details to a very helpful agent and explained to him the situation. He said he will check for me. Within a few hours, he called back and said that no documents were processed and I had to leave the country within seven days. I was desperate! What should I do?  What worried me more at that time was that I have barely enough cash to buy my own ticket back! I was counting on getting a job and making some money along the way and now... How can an employer who looked so prestigious on the outside be so irresponsible?... (to be cont'd)

No comments:

Post a Comment