Sunday, September 26, 2010

A little disturbed!

This morning, my sister called me and said that an agent told her that he's got a job for her. It's a job as a beautician in the city and the pay is SGD1,000 without any other allowances. I know my sister is really keen to come to Singapore, especially now that I am here and I am fearful that in the haste, she may make the wrong decision and end up SGD8,000 poorer. My first experience told me that this SGD8,000 will take as long as a year or more to earn back... and the pressure builds if you have to borrow the money too.

My colleague tells me that Beauty Centers are sprouting up in Singapore because the barrier to entry is low. However, many of them don't last more than a year or two. Is this true? I really don't want my sister to fall into the same trap as me... ie just when you earn back your agents fee, it's time to go home!

Isn't it interesting in life that the more we know, the more we worry? When I came out here the first time, I wasn't worried about anything. I just paid and went... because I did not know a thing about Singapore! But now that I know a little more and also a little more experienced, I am a little concerned. I'm not sure how I should advise here as far as this is concerned. Even while taking my breakfast with my colleague, I am thinking about it!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you managed to finished your breakfast that morning with so much on your mind. =) Anyway, I'm Roger, a Singaporen chinese. I chance upon your blog. Its nice and heartwarming to know that you want to share your experiences in Singapore and more importantly, for us to get to know how's life in rural part of China is like. GREAT effort you have to have the idea of starting a blog, and that's something totally new to you.

    At first i was amazed that you are able to write such good english, until i read the "More About Me" section and realised that actually you have a good friend to help you with the translation. =) I must say, she is really a kind soul who offers her time to help you.

    Anyway, about the beauty industries in Singapore. There are courses for manicure/pedicure, haircutting, beauty related stuffs like face massage, treatment etc that i think your sister can enrol herself in.

    There is a varied array of such courses around and in fact, its quite easy to find employment in this industry once you have got the skills and the cert.

    Occasionally, you may want to look out for BIG compines(i.e FIL/Marie-France/Jean Yip/Modern Beauty Salon etc) that offer work + study scheme (no experience needed). Which means that you do not have to pay course fees to learn the skills and you are guaranteed employment under the company. All you have to do is to sign a bond which says you will have to work for the company for at least 1 year after the course is completed! Trust me!!! there is such thing!! you just gotta be more observant the next time you read the papers or when you pass by such beauty outlets when you go shopping. I hope all these helps!

    So is your friend going to translate what i have just written to you? Haha. Take care and have a good night rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 谢谢你,黄瓜(Roger)!我会打开我的眼睛多一点!谢谢你帮助我!新加坡有许多很好的人!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 哈哈! 我不是黄瓜啦! Cucumber 才是黄瓜! You are welcome! Yes, we have some very good and kind hearted people who will help in whatever ways they can, but not everyone are good here, you still have to becareful of strangers you meet in Singapore so as to protect yourself!

    Sorry that i replied in English because if i would to type in chinese, it would take a very long time! Haha.

    ReplyDelete