Friday, September 10, 2010

My broken hearted friend!

A couple of months after I started work at Chai Chee, a group of guys came by to buy drinks just after lunch. There were three Chinese guys and one Indian guy. While my colleague was preparing for them the fruit juice which they ordered, the Indian guy asked one of his Chinese friends to ask me if I had a boyfriend. I understood what he was asking his friend but of course, I pretended not to know.

So cheekily, his friend turned around to me and said, "My good friend here wants to know if you have any boyfriend?"

Interestingly, I had this discussion with my colleagues while having breakfast a few days before. We usually took a short break at between 9-10am where we had our own breakfast and small talk as this was a quiet period for us. My colleagues told me that there will always be guys coming by to ask about us and will want to know if we are attached etc... etc... Some were genuinely interested, some just wanted to poke fun at us and some were just being friendly. My boss warned us that it was best to just tell them we were attached so as to not attract further attention.

With this in mind, I replied, "Yes, I have a very good boyfriend whom I love alot".

This cheeky Chinese guy turned around to his Indian friend and said, "She says she has a very good boyfriend whom she loves alot!" I almost burst out laughing. The Indian guy put his hand to his heart and using two hands to signify that it is broken told his friend to tell me that he was very heart-broken! Ha ha. My colleagues and I had a good laugh that day.

It's a good thing we had such little funny incident happening every other day or so... otherwise, life can be so tough in little Singapore... at least for us migrant workers!

No comments:

Post a Comment