Sunday, September 19, 2010

Played out by an irresponsible employer - Part 1

Just before my first contract ended when I was working at Chai Chee Technopark, my boss told me that I had 7 days after my contract ended to leave Singapore. I was desperately trying to extend my contract but unfortunately, the government had raised the quota requirement for foreign workers and my boss did not have the numbers required to keep me.

You may be asking, why me and not someone else? Well, it just happened that I was the first contract to run out after the implementation of the new quota requirements (this was in May 2010). I used this seven days to search for jobs. I bought the papers everyday, and I went for 2 to 3 interviews a day. It was really, really tough trying to see so many potential employers in the few days that I had, especially when you do not have much money left and still have to take public transport here and there. Finally after all the hard work, I had two potential employers who said they will contact me. I told them that I had to leave the next day and that once I was back in China, I will send them my contact details.

When I was back in China, the company, SKYE IMPERIAL HOT POT CITY at China Square called me and said they need me. Am I mean to name them? Well, I waited till they are closed before putting up their name.Anyway, we agreed on terms and they asked me to book a flight down as soon as possible. I immediately had to borrow another RMB5,000 and with another about RMB4,000 which I had, I bought a ticket and made my way to Singapore...(to be cont'd!)

No comments:

Post a Comment