Sunday, September 12, 2010

Me and my glasses!

One morning recently, while still working at Punggol, I woke up and my eyes hurt. I'm not sure what was the reason but I decided to wear my glasses to work that day. It was quite interesting as my colleagues and a few customers commented that I looked like a teacher and started calling me "laoshi" or "老师", Chinese for teacher. I'm not sure I should take that as a compliment or not... as I am not sure how teachers are viewed in Singapore by the general public. Some friends tell me that the impression of teachers are that they are the nerdy type.

Certainly not in China though... teachers are a well respected profession there... maybe a view that has trickled down, since the days of Communism and Chairman Mao!
Wouldn't it have been nice if I was really a teacher? Then maybe I don't have to struggle that hard just to make ends meed! Actually about one year ago, while working at Chai Chee, a customer approached me and asked if I would like to tutor his primary four daughter in Chinese. I had to turn him down as I was not familiar with the local syllables and I will be doing gross injustice to her to take up the job and not be able to do it well, especially if her results does not improve! 

Now thinking back, maybe I should have accepted it. Chinese tutor for hire... anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment