Monday, August 1, 2011

Fish for Dinner!

Recently, my sister called me from work and "complained" that she had not had a meat dish for some time. She craved for some meat. I guess it's my fault as for cost reasons, I had resorted to cooking mostly vegetable dishes for her. Also, I always think vegetables are healthier, although after reading some news articles about the amount of pesticides used, I am not so sure these days. Guess it depends on where they come from.

Anyway, my sister has been working so hard, I guess she deserve some good food as well... whatever I can afford!

So the next day, I went to the supermarket across the road to get some meat. The fishes all looked quite good but were quite expensive, so I decided to buy a cheaper freshwater fish for her. This fish was listed as a Red Tilipia and it cost SGD3. Most others cost about SGD4 or more. It's a bit more than what I would like to spend actually, and the truth is, I am not sure of the diffference. I am, afterall, not too familiar with the fishes here, although we do have red tilipia in China.

I think with the right cooking methods, spices and sauce added, any fish will taste good. As the saying goes, it's the cook that counts.

So my sister came back and ate the whole fish all by herself. She told me the next day (via sms) that it tasted good. Well, when you yearn for something bad enough, anything is good. When you are hungry, any food will satisfy you... or is my cooking that good???

I'm glad for her. I think we need to keep happy and healthy by eating good food every now and then. And good food need not necessarily be expensive.

So now she is finally happy!

2 comments:

  1. Fish is brain food if you want more IQ. All kinds of fish will do, fresh water also can although sea water fish is the best. Even sardines in cans can be made as sandwishes and taste equally good and nutritious. Btw, you can also deep fry red tiliapia and add in sweet & sour sauce for a change. It tastes better vs steam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your suggestion! I will definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete