Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Birthday today!

Today is my birthday! However, for the whole of this week, I had been having a wonderful time from well wishers and friends who wants to share this joyful day with me. So this year, I turn 29... and it's my last year of celebration before I hit the big 30! I am afraid... for they say in my hometown in China, that if a woman hits 30, she will be left on the "shelf" and nobody will want her ever! Scary thought!


But in the mean time, a good Singaporean girl friend brought me out for ice cream on Monday night. I had a big Coit Tower at Swensens... a little guilty for taking in all that calories but this is just a once a year thing. In all my 29 years, I had never tasted ice cream so good. Back home, due to the cold weather, we never had ice cream. In summer when it is warm, we do have some vendors selling cheap ice cream on the streets but I always had the impression this is more for kids... ha ha, how naive of me.

Nevertheless, this ice cream from Swensens is the best I have tasted in my life... creamy, milky, smooth and tasty!

On Tuesday, I had dinner with another Singaporean friend who brought me out for a good dinner of Chinese noodles. We had dinner at North Point in Yishun, a little far from my home but the dinner was wonderful. In fact, I've never tasted noodles this good either.

I wonder if the food taste better because it is my birthday or is that it's been a long, long time since I have been out for a good meal, other than the hot pot dinner I have every now and then with my Chinese friends. While these hot pot dinners never were that good, they are a great way to have some fun, socialize and even to talk aloud (because everyone speaks loudly at such a place... I wonder why?"

When I arrived for work on this morning, my wonderful Singapore friend, Ah Mei, gave me a beautiful pendent. It's a beautiful gift from a beautiful person.

I have one more dinner to go with my Chinese friends tonight but even before this event, I know this must be my best birthday ever! This is the first time I've had two nights of celebrations for my birthday but it was fun and I really enjoyed it.
I am ever so blessed, despite being in a land so far away from home! Thank you my friends, for giving me such a wonderful birthday... even before it is over!

Share

6 comments:

  1. first of all a very happy birthday :-)
    I've been following your blog every now and then and it's really heartening to read about your life in singapore. I can't believe a person who is as kind hearted and beautiful as you can still be single at the age of 29.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Li Jing, 祝你生日快乐,青春永驻,能赶快赚一桶金回国创业!也带你妹妹去享受一下Swensens吧。

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you "unknown"! Yes a few people asked me about this before. I had a relationship in China but it soon broke up after I came to Singapore. I did not want to get into any relationship as I know I will have to go back some day. I cannot afford to hurt myself or anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 谢谢Bee Yong!有一天我有钱, 一定会带我妹去的!哈哈

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kinda late but i guess its better than never.. Happy belated birthday and may all your wishes come true. God bless!

    ReplyDelete