Thursday, August 4, 2011

Prawning!

My turn to try my luck!
Last Wednesday evening, my teacher friend and some of her friends decided to go prawning. It was not something she had done before although she saw some people doing it. It looks interesting according to her. She asked me along and I told her I will go as long as it is not too costly.

We went to the East Coast Park area to a small prawning place located not too far from McDonalds. They rented a rod for SGD30, split among 4 of us for 3 hours and we had our share of fun. While I find it rather expensive, I decided not to be a spoil sport and just join in the fun.

Our first catch!
Fortunately for us, one of the workers at the place was a Chinese national too. He was here just for ten days and he said he will teach us how to catch prawns. He even was nice enough to hook the bait for us. How sweet! It's nice to meet a friend, wherever you are!

We tried for the first fifteen minutes with no success. Then the Chinese worker came to help us. This time, he brought some worms and told us it will be more effective. True enough, within minutes of hitting the water, the float was bobbing up and down. We all screamed and lifted the rod to land our first big prawn!

Our Chinese "friend"!
About an hour into prawning, a group of guys came by and started talking to us. We were a little wary and did not speak much. Seeing that we had 4 girls fishing with only one rod, they offered to get another one for us but we turned them down. Nevertheless they hung around us for the rest of the night and even offered us drinks.

All through the 3 hours, we landed a total of 15 prawns, not bad for a group of novices. We laughed, anyway, that with SGD30, we could buy alot more prawns from the supermarket! But nevertheless, it was an excellent experience for me and my friends, one which I will cherish but not do again, especially at this price! My friends gave the prawns to me and told me to cook it and share it with them! Ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment