Saturday, July 2, 2011

Insect Bites!

During my first stay at Joo Chiat, about three years ago, when I first came to Singapore, I experienced many insect bites on my legs and arms when I sleep. This happens even when I change my bedsheets but somehow or other, I was unable to find out what bit me. They could never be found anywhere. I was really glad when I finally got out of the place and found a cleaner place to stay.

Yesterday, a new colleague told me that she had been very badly bitten each night when she sleeps. She showed me her "bite" marks and I could immediately tell that they were exactly what I experienced a few years back. She asked me what's the solution and I told her to move out. In the past, some of my room mates had tried changing mattress, even forking our their hard earn money to buy new mattresses, all to no avail. The bugs will just move from old mattresses to new and unless all the old mattresses are thrown out, there is no way to get rid of them.

Her bites were even worse than mine. She tried wearing long pyjamas to sleep and despite the thickness of the pyjamas, the bugs still bite through!


I think some of these hostels renting out rooms should be more hygenic, maybe even to the point of taking out their mattresses to sun every now and then. But I guess most of these landlords are working people just like us, and will do the minimum to keep the place reasonaby neat and tidy for tenants. Whatever cannot be seen (including these bugs), will be just left alone.

My colleague will see a doctor today and will also start looking for a better and cleaner place to move to. I am so glad I have gone past this unpleasant experience!

1 comment:

  1. This is bad. From the pictures, the cause can be narrowed down to 2 possibilities - bed bugs or scabies. Solution - change the mattress & treat the bed and the surrounding areas. Overcrowding and heat can cause these common pests infestation.

    ReplyDelete