Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Polite Old Lady

This week, I met a very sweet old lady during my train ride to work in the morning. The train was very crowded as usual at almost 6am in the morning when it made a stop at the Tiong Bahru MRT. An old lady got up and  she a little weak and frail. It's obvious she was going to work and I was just thinking to myself that she must have been about 70 and still working. It must be tough getting up so early at this old age. In China, we are used to it but looking at the number of people sleeping in the train, it must be tough for most city folks in Singapore!

I usually am able to get a seat as I start my journey in Bedok. As she came up, I noticed that there were no seats available and many of the commuters were sleeping away, waiting to reach their destination. Everyone was just trying to catch that few more minutes of sleep before the morning coffee wakes them up!

This lady stood in front of me, so I decided to give up my seat to her. I then stood up and offered her my seat. She politely asked me where I am stopping. Here is how the conversation went (in Mandarin of course) :

Old Lady : "Young Lady, where are you stopping?"
Me : "I will be stopping at Buona Vista, just 4 more stops to go!"
Old Lady : "Well then, you take a seat until you reach your destination, then I will take over your seat when you alight."
Me : "No, no, you take a seat. I have sat long enough! I came all the way from Bedok! I have sat here for half an hour already!"
Old Lady : "No, no, you take a seat! I can manage!"
Me : "Auntie, you take a seat because I am getting up to take a stretch"

With this, I held her arm and guided her to my seat. She must have told me "Thank you!" at least three times before settling down. What a polite old lady and what a pleasant experience it was for me!

Another start to another beautiful day!

2 comments: