Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I'm coming to Singapore again!

So many things have happened these recent few weeks, I've hardly have time to update my past working experience.

I've been wrting about finding a job in Singapore and I've had several miserable failures... but recently I had two good opportunities. One was from my agent who who called recently about a job at a bar/pub. I mentioned this earlier in one of my earlier posting.

I also made several calls to companies in Singapore and finally, one company was looking for a Chinese worker. It's a company manufacturing and selling bread and it has a few branches in Singapore. The job seems tough with working hours from 9am to 9pm with pay of SGD800 per mth plus SGD150 for lodging allowance. Also, it is seven days a week work except for 2 off-days a month. As I had made this contact on my own, I do not have to pay the hefty agent's fee but the company still require an agent's help to settle some papers. According to the company, the fee is SGD1,000 which I will have to bear as well as the airticket. This is of course much less than the SGD8,000 I have to pay if I had the agent help me find the job!

"I was so happy I went out to pick a nice water melon from the farm to share with my family!"

I've decided to take up this offer as I'm still a little skeptical about the "bar/pub" job. My feeling is that many pubs in Singapore will run for a couple of years and then either change location or close down. I really want a job that is long term in order that I can save some money to bring home some time in the future.

So, in taking up this offer, the company has said that they wanted me to start work as soon as possible. I've booked my ticket and will be in Singapore this coming Wednesday. I will update again once my job is firm and everything is running well. Hmm... I was so happy I went out to pick a nice water melon from the farm to share with my family!

My sister is still waiting for news on the bar/pub job and she should know in a few weeks if she will be able to come to Singapore as well. I certainly hope she is able to come as well. Somehow, having a close member of the family around helps alot in a foreign land (even though Singapore is now quite familiar to me after working here for 2 years already).

4 comments:

  1. "The job seems tough with working hours from 9am to 9pm with pay of SGD800 per mth plus SGD150 for lodging allowance. Also, it is seven days a week work except for 2 off-days a month" - Well, that is the best you can get at the moment, while woeking here, look out for more opportunity to jump ship, off course after your contract end.

    Next - "I've decided to take up this offer as I'm still a little skeptical about the "bar/pub" job." Why then you want your sister to take up this job ? I personally think the enviornment is at "Bar/Pub" is not a place ofr your sister to work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the comments. 谢谢!It is a tough job but that's the best I can get for now. As for my sis, she thinks the pay is better and working conditions are better and as long as it is just serving drinks, she thinks it is OK! I asked the bread shop if they need another person and they think one is enough for now...

    ReplyDelete