Monday, May 31, 2010

Finally, the call....

I had been waiting for almost 2 weeks now and not a call from the agent. That little voice in me keeps telling me I had been taken for a ride. I already paid a big sum of money and looks like this time, I'm getting nothing out of it. My friends and relatives where not much help either. They told me to learn my lesson and move on.

Then when I have just about given up hope, the phone rang. When I saw the agents number, my heart almost skipped a few beats. The agent had good news for me. He said that much of the arrangements is confirmed and I need to go and pay my other 50% payment before they arrange for tickets and the rest.

Quite frankly, after all this wait and the humiliation I got from my friends and relatives, I was about to say yes to anything, just to prove them wrong!

That afternoon, I literally "flew" over to the agents office again. The agent had explained the procedure over the phone. I had to bring down the rest of my payment together with all the necessary documentation. I told the agent I do not have a passport and they said they will give me the necessary documentation to apply for one. It'll take a few weeks but that should be ok as I'm not expected to fly out till about a month later.

When I got home, I broke the good news to my parents. My dad was his usual doubtful self but my mother was rather supportive. I did sense a little sorrow troubling her that evening, as we had dinner. Despite her show of joy, she was saddened by the fact that in just over a month, I will be off to a distant country. She wondered how life will be like without her eldest daughter around. Even though I'm not always at home when I work in Shenyang, I'm still easily contactable by phone and I'm just about a 2 hours ride from home. But now... I don't even know how far away I will be! All I do know is that it is very very far and I am a little apprehensive myself.! In my whole 26 years, I've never been that far away from home, I've never taken a plane or a train. In fact, I've never been to Beijing, our capital city and I've never seen the Great Wall of China, one of the seven man made wonders of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment