Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Putting my money where my mouth is!

This distant relative whom I called "Uncle" lives about 2 hours away by bus. Even though he had finally agreed to lend me the money, I could sense a feeling of reluctance when I was at his place. I don't blame him. He's not rich but he's better off than us. And there was no collateral, which means I may not be able to repay the money. Quite frankly, I don't even know (at that time), if the agent "took me to the cleaners" (cheated me), or if I was able to repay. What I did know was that I will do all I can to work hard and repay the debt... hopefully within the 6mths that the agent had "promised". Regardless, I did not intend to default. We may not be rich, but we are ethical and honest!

Next day, I called the agent who arranged to meet me at his office. I was told to bring all necessary documents; identifications, educational certificates etc... etc... and of course money! I had to pay a 50% deposit and once they secure a job for us, they will contact us for the other 50% before making arrangements for our travel to Singapore. I was actually given two options; Singapore or Japan but I picked Singapore as they money was "bigger" and from what I understand, the population has a high percentage of Chinese many of whom spoke some level of mandarin.

With some doubts still hanging at the back of my head, I reluctantly parted with 50% of the money. The office was not a very impressive outfit. It was small but crowded but I don't think I had many other choice back then. It wasn't even air-conditioned, but ventilated by two big fans, hanging from the dirty ceiling. I could see some cobwebs at one corner where a few geckos and a spiders prey on the few insects attracted to the fluorescent light on the ceiling.

I finally signed some documents and the agent told me to go home and wait for his call. I was a nervous wreck and shaking. Butterflies rumbled in my little tummy heightening the feeling of hunger as I have not eaten all morning. I shivered as a gust of cold air rushed down the back of my neck. I'd never felt so unsure... damn, I wasn't even sure if I'd ever receive a call or see this agent again! I've heard stories of agents disappearing overnight but then... no venture no gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment