Friday, May 21, 2010

Follow my star...

After a week, I still wasn't sure if I did the right thing. After all, I feel quite comfortable in my hometown, where I have friends and I am familiar with everything. My stomach churns when I keep thinking of what I got myself into.

A week later, the agent called and said that there is a job working in a cafeteria and asked if I wanted the job. I went down to meet him and he told me about the job. There's promise of an initial pay of SGD800, with 13th month and bonus for good performance. After 3 months, I'd be eligible for a pay raise, although he did not say how much. Oh, and accommodation is provided!

I quickly turned the figures in my head. SGD800... wow, that's about 4,000RMB, more than 4 times of what I will be getting back home!

The agent's fee is a hefty 50,000RMB (almost SGD10,000)! That hurts! I asked why so much, and the agent said it covers return airfares, documentation etc... etc... I've never saved that much in my whole 26 years, so how am I going to come up with the money. The agent applied pressure... if I wanted the job, I have to pay in 2 days or he'll have to find someone else.

I never felt so pressurized! Stressed out! Cold sweat! He told me to go back and think about it and come back to him in two days. Before I left, he ran me through a little motivation talk again; I could pay back in 6months and come back with a big pile of savings after 2 years!

I've always wanted to run my own little stall selling clothes... my mind started to wander as I walked out into the cold morning breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment