Saturday, June 4, 2011

My sister's Birthday!

25 May is my sister's birthday! In China, we usually celebrate our birthday's by having a "special" sweet noodles and eggs, so signify having a longer life. However, in Singapore, and especially at a rented place where cooking should be kept to a minimum, this might not be so practical. So I was wondering how I should celebrate my sister's birthday???

I decided to buy a birthday cake for my sister. She wasn't really for buying a cake as she has been trying very hard to lose some weight. Ha ha. She has been working non-stop, even sacrificing her one free day to work overtime for a little more pay, so it's been hard to find any time to exercise at all. I feel quite lucky compared to her... at least I still have time to go jogging in the evening, and even do Yoga! For her, it's like the moment she gets home at about 11pm, she washes up and go to sleep and then wakes up and go to work! What a life for my poor sister... but we are both glad that we have a job in Singapore, knowing how hard it is to work here with the reduced foreigner's quota these days.

I told her it's only once a year! We should not forget to relax once in a while, even while we come to Singapore to earn a living! And to ease her guilt, I bought a mango cake. While still a cake, it at least has some fruits and my sister likes mangoes! In a simple celebration, we both had a slice of cake when she came home late at night. I offered my landlord a slice and kept the rest for another day.

For her birthday, my sister dressed up specially nice. She put on favorite best dress and make up for the day. She also bought herself something from the place where she worked... a pair of new shoes! Don't you think we both look a little alike in this picture of her (center pic)? Her face is a little rounder but the features are similar!

2 comments:

  1. Heh heh... so sweet... I wish u were my tenant too then I can have free one slice of mango cake too. *LOL*

    Anyway, this really reminds me to 10 over yrs ago when we used to rent our room to a China lady and her son who was schooling in Singapore. The lady was very nice because she would sometimes make really nice dumplings and stews (her beef stew is the best I ever tasted!!) for us and she likes to dress up especially when I would help her to choose nice shoes and dresses. They have moved out since but I hope mother and son is doing fine in Singapore now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jasmine... for your comments!

    ReplyDelete