Thursday, June 23, 2011

Gastric Pains!

When I first came to Singapore almost 3 years ago, one of the bad habits I developed was to go without meals and sometimes have only one meal a day, just to save a few dollars, especially over the weekends. During the weekdays, I work at the canteen at Chai Chee Technopark and at least meals were provided and I usually have a good breakfast and lunch but still would go without dinner. The timing is also different as we have to eat at a time when there are least customers. This means we have our breakfast at about 11am and our lunch at 3pm, the quietest time of the day.


The medicine I brought with me!
 Towards the second year, I developed gastric pains occassionally. Sometimes the pain get so intense, I have to take MC. My colleagues and room mates have always reminded me to take my meals regularly.

Recently, I developed gastric pains again and I had to take the afternoon off. When I came back a second time to Singapore, I brought some pain killers from China but they did not help.

The aweful medicine!
My Singaporean colleague, Ah Mei, happen to stop work at 2pm that particular day and told me that she will take me to see a doctor. We went to a Chinese doctor she recommended and he gave me a concoction which taste like a "water and soil" mixture! Yucks! And I was told I have to finish the whole course, which will take up to 2 weeks! Oh dear, one taste and I could almost puke! And to top it off, I had to pay SGD96 for the whole treatment! That's a lot of money for some "soil" like tasting mixture!

Some of my Singaporean colleagues had also advised me not to visit any Chinese doctor as many are not properly trained and may cause more harm than good! Is this true? For me, back in China, we visit Chinese doctor alot and many have proper certification and training in Chinese Universities.

I have since gotten well but I am not sure if it is due to the medicine or just that time heals. I'm wondering if I should stop taking the aweful tasting medicine! Yucks! I still have about half of it left!

1 comment:

  1. Medicine helps to a certain extent; more importantly, need to modify your lifestyle. Aim to eat regular meals. Other time-tested tips - eat smaller meals each time but at more frequent intervals, equally important, enjoy your food - eat slowly and chew food well. Also, not advisable to drink too much water immediately after a meal. Just some tips for your reference.

    ReplyDelete