Saturday, June 26, 2010

Finally in Singapore!

After a long 8 hours on the plane including a one hour transit in Guangzhou, I was totally exhausted. It's my first time taking a plane and I wasn't sure what and what not to do. I was sitting by the window which offered me a fantastic view as we left Shenyang... and it was my first time seeing my homeland from such a high altitude. I immediately tried to recognize the various places and looked for my home but to no avail.

While having a window seat has its privileges, I felt totally boxed in as two other Chinese men sat next to me. They tried to make small conversation but I was just too confused, exhausted and depressed to entertain them. They were migrant workers too, back for a short break before heading back to Singapore to work. Sometime during the flight, I wanted to go to the toilet but was afraid to ask the men to excuse me as I was afraid of starting the small talk all over again. I just wanted to go to the lavatory and come back to sleep. I was dead tired.

When the plane landed in Singapore, a wave of fear suddenly spread through me and cold sweat started pouring down my forehead and neck. It's my first time in a foreign land and I'm not sure what to expect. Instinctively, I looked around for that lady in black who helped me and saw her some distance in front. As the seat belt sign went off, passengers started standing up and taking their hand luggage while I was still stuck at my window seat waiting for the two men to move. I was excited and worried that the "lady-in-black", whom I intend to follow will alight before I do... and I will lose sight of her. I squeezed my way out to the annoyance of some of the passengers. I also tried to recognize a few passengers so that I can follow them should I lose the "lady-in-black".

Finally, we got through customs and was at the luggage bay. My luggage was one of the last to come out which  made me even more nervous as I wondered what to do should I lose my luggage. As I followed some passengers out of the gate, I kept my eyes opened for the representative agent from Singapore who was suppose to pick me. I do not recognize them but was looking for a signboard... I saw none! More cold sweat! What next?

I hovered around the gate waiting to see a familiar sign, hopefully one with my name on it but there were none. I was tired, sleepy, hungry, sweaty... all rolled into one... and possibly smelly too after that long, sweaty flight. Finally I gave up and decided to take a seat near the gate. As I sat down, the first big tears began to roll down my cheeks... images of home flash through my mind... my chickens, my donkey, the beautiful sunrise and sunsets, my mother...

No comments:

Post a Comment